Arthur Knight's Selection
The 138 acre selection of land on the left hand side of St Georges road, including the land between Emerald Road and McBride Road is known as Allotment 66 in the Parish of Pakenham. It was originally selected by a clerk/farmer by the name of Arthur Knight, who lived there together with his mother. He obtained his crown grant on 25 August 1881.
Unfortunately little is known about Arthur Knight, other than that he lived in Barlow Cottage in Madeline Street, Carlton when he applied for the selection. In order to obtain the crown grant for his land at Upper Beaconsfield he had to live on the selection, which he did for some time, but as soon as the crown grant was issued he advertised that he was letting his furnished cottage. He had built not only a log hut and a weatherboard hut, but also a dairy, a stable, 2 cowsheds, 2 hen houses and a pig sty. It is believed that Henry Pegler leased the farm until his untimely death of consumption in 1884.
Knight sold off parts of his selection to Elizabeth Rushall, Catherine Walsh and Joseph Bulling before a subdivision was finalised in October 1886. In 1883 he had donated an acre of land for the purpose of building a church.
The balance of the land, about 100 acres, was transferred to Walter Smythe Bayston on 25 Oct 1888, after he had lodged a caveat on 30 Aug 1888. Bayston was later mayor of Caulfield.
On 3 Nov 1888 another caveat was lodged, and as it lapsed on the same day that the property was transferred into the name of Thomas Barrett, a builder, there are grounds to assume that Barrett may have been contracted to build a house for Bayston, who defaulted.
On 7 Aug 1891 Barrett took out a mortgage from the Commercial Bank of Australia. From the rate books we know that the property had a house on it by 1890, but it is not known on which lot the house was built on. The net annual value of £125 suggests that the house was quite substantial. The same value was used to calculate the council rates in the following two years, but the 1892 rates were already paid by the Commercial Bank, so Barrett must have defaulted this mortgage shortly after obtaining it. The dire economic situation during the 1890s made the council adjust the rates, and in 1893 and 1894 the net annual value is reduced to £35, then for the next two years to £25 each year. On 2 Sep 1895 the Commercial Bank sold lot 3 of this land to William Henry Dale.
Over the following twenty years the rest of the selection was sold:
Lot 2: To Henry George Dauntless Burston - 24 Dec 1896
Lots 5+6: To Elizabeth McLean - 18 Nov 1897
Lot 8: To Henrietta Singleton - 4 Aug 1900
Lot 1: To Erdmuthe Friedericke Marianne Smith (except for land reserved for a church) - 15 Nov 1907
Lot 9: To James Ramage and James Joseph Ahern - 14 Sep 1912 - see history of Alston Barkala
Lot 7 was divided into 5 parts which were sold separately:
27 Feb 1912 to Dr William Elliot Drake
17 May 1913 to Walter Fergus Robinson
18 Nov 1913 to James MacDougall
21 Jul 1915 to Caleb Wheeler
15 Apr 1918 to Alice Emily Brown
See separate pages for the history of these individual properties.