F, #19475, b. 1834, d. 1887
|Marriage*|| Spouse: Thomas McKelvie.1|
|Widow||1886||Elizabeth Brown became a widow upon the death of her husband Thomas McKelvie.2|
|Death*||1887||Hospital, Melbourne East, VIC, Australia, #D14358 (Age 53) [par unknown].3|
|Last Edited||24 Feb 2018|
M, #19479, b. 1826, d. 25 Apr 1908
|Marriage*||1860|| Spouse: Elizabeth Mary Denney. VIC, Australia, #M3871.1|
|Land-UBeac*||20 Mar 1883||John Harris selected land from the Crown. GEM-E-11 / GEM-D-74. 16a 0r 14p - Land File 1811/49.4 GEM-E-11 8a 2r 16p / GEM-D-74 7a 1r 38p. Crown grant to J HARRIS on 3 May 1887.|
1890 in arrears - unclear if Metropolitan Bank paid, no longer listed after 1894.2,3
|Land-Note*||16 Aug 1886||GEM-E-11 / GEM-D-74: William Adams. Statutory declaration is support of application for forfeiture. I, William Adams of Beaconsfield do solemnly declare, that I am informed and believe that John Harris of Gembrook ... That he has not put any improvements, resided or cultivated the land.4|
|Land-Note*||31 Aug 1886|| GEM-E-11 / GEM-D-74: Caleb Wheeler. Fasifern, Beconsfield, August 31 86.|
To the Secretary of Lands
Dear Sir I take the liberty of writing to you with reference to a Block of Land of J Harris in too parts north of Ellenworths on the Narrie Warren Road about 16 Acres it has been selected over (3) years and no improvements of any kind what ever put upon it. it is likely to be Fortifed.
also with referance to a Block of 20 Acres Selected by Dale over 3 years north of Gissings. Sugar Laaff has no improvements of any kind what ever is it likely to be forfitited?
or could you give me any information of Land forfitited or given for selection in or near Beaconsfield or what can be taken to obtain a block.
I remain yours respectfully Caleb Wheeler.4
|Land-Note*||12 Nov 1886|| GEM-E-11 / GEM-D-74: Recommended that he be allowed one month to complete improvements - a further inspection to be then made.|
Report on 2 Feb 1887. Improvements 27 chains post and rail & 3 wires @ per chain 17/6 £23-12-6
22 chains post and 5 wires @ per chain 12/- £13-4-0
|Land-Note||21 Jan 1887|| GEM-E-11 / GEM-D-74: Application to purchase: John Harris, Boardinghouse Keeper, Park Road St Kilda.|
I paid for all fencing. Land not fit for cereal crops, moderately timbered, stony, rangy and too poor for cultivation. Land used for grazing horses. Not residing on land because it is too poor to make a living on.4
|Land-UBeac||28 Jan 1888||GEM-E-11 / GEM-D-74. Transfer from John Harris to Susannah Smith. 16a 0r 14p - (GEM-E-11 8a 2r 16p / GEM-D-74 7a 1r 38p.)5|
|Widower||28 Oct 1897||John Harris became a widower upon the death of his wife Elizabeth Mary Denney.6|
|Death*||25 Apr 1908||Prahran, VIC, Australia, #D7376 (Age 82) [par John HARRIS & Mary HOWSLIP].6|
|Death-Notice*||27 Apr 1908||HARRIS.—On the 25th April, John Harris, 66 Regent-street, Elsternwick, aged 82 years.7|
- [S1] Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages Pioneer Index Victoria 1836-1888.
- [S81] Land Records, Parish Maps & Council Rate Books. ; PROV (Public Records Office Victoria), John Harris, Hotel Keeper, Temperance Hotel, Park Road St Kilda.
- [S185] Property Titles. ; PROV (Public Records Office Victoria), C/T 1927-274 - John Harris of St Kilda Boardinghouuse-keeper.
- [S81] Land Records, Parish Maps & Council Rate Books. ; PROV (Public Records Office Victoria), Land File 1811/49.
- [S185] Property Titles. ; PROV (Public Records Office Victoria), C/T 1927-274 - Susannah Smith, the wife of Herbert Fellows Smith of Glover Street South Melbourne Mariner.
- [S22] Victorian Government. BDM Index Victoria (online).
- [S16] Newspaper - The Age The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Mon 27 Apr 1908, p1
- [S48] Index of burials in the cemetery of St Kilda,.
- [S20] Various indexed records of GSV - Genealogical Society Victoria "Index to Govt gazette."
- [S11] Newspaper - Argus The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Sat 5 Jun 1880, p10.
- [S16] Newspaper - The Age The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Wed 14 Jun 1882, p1
- [S16] Newspaper - The Age The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Mon 6 Aug 1888, p1
- [S16] Newspaper - The Age The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Fri 14 Sep 1888, p7
- [S16] Newspaper - The Age The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Fri 31 Oct 1890, p3
- [S14] Newspaper - Leader (Melbourne, Vic. : 1862 - 1918), Sat 11 Apr 1891, p46
- [S16] Newspaper - The Age The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), Sat 28 Jan 1893, p10
- [S14] Newspaper - The Prahran Telegraph (Vic. : 1889 - 1930), Sat 9 Jun 1894, p3
|Last Edited||20 Mar 2018|